HOW TO GET YOUR LICENSE
Entering the real estate profession takes preparation and education
As with other professions, state licensing is required.
The Texas Real Estate Commission, TREC, is the licensing authority in Texas. To be a real estate salesperson, you must:
- Be at least 18
- Be a legal resident of Texas
- Complete specific pre-licensure courses …
- Real Estate Principles I & II (60 classroom hours)
- Law of Agency (30 classroom hours)
- Law of Contracts (30 classroom hours)
- Real Estate Finance (30 classroom hours)
- Promulgated Contract forms (30 classroom hours)
- Submit your application and certificates of pre-licensure education to TREC
- Pass the real estate salesperson’s exam
- Pass a criminal background check
- Affiliate with a Texas real estate broker as your sponsor
Congratulations … Once you complete these steps, you’ll be able to start your real estate career!
A realistic time line for these steps is three to six months from the time you start your first real estate class. For more information on licensing requirements, visit the TREC Web site.
Are you ready to begin the process to get your license? We have courses available online if the classroom courses don’t fit your schedule.